Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TLC's Extreme Couponing

#1 User is offline   Julie Vazquez 

• Community Manager
  • Group: Root Administrators

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

How many of you are watching TLC's Extreme Couponing? I found this article today, and I thought I would share it with you.

(Disclaimer: MoneyMindedMoms.com is not taking any stance on this, choosing sides, or stating any of the accusations are fact)

But WOW - just WOW!

Was coupon fraud shown on TLC's Extreme Couponing?
Posted Image
Money Minded Moms Community Manager

Follow Money Minded Moms on Twitter: @MoneyMindedMoms

Like us on Facebook too!

Follow me on Twitter (personal account): @JustJulie

After all, computers crash, people die, relationships fall apart. The best we can do is breathe and reboot. Carrie Bradshaw

#2 User is offline   sblatner 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

Wow! Reading the blog is eye-opening. I have always watched shows where people save a ton of money with coupons and have always wondered how they did it. I'm sure not all are like this but it does make me feel better knowing that I'm honest so probably couldn't get $1900 in groceries/products for $100.

#3 User is offline   wearing lots o' hats 

• PipPip

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

Wow, indeed. I'm a couponer... not an extreme couponer. I hope that this behavior doesn't affect couponing for the couponers who follow the rules. In the last 18 months the number of available coupons and their degree of discount has changed significantly. Has anyone else noticed that?

#4 User is offline   EStimpert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

If she did in fact use the coupons in a way she should not have I am glad that so many people are getting so angry over it, I dont want to lose the ability to use coupons because people have found a way to abuse them.

I find it interesting that no one has brought up that one of the ladies was able to have a pallet sized load of coupons delivered to her driveway!

#5 User is offline   Northern Cheapskate 

• PipPip

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

I consider myself an avid, but not extreme couponer. I find it absolutely shameful that TLC has made no response to the allegations of fraud. In Houston TX, the Kroger stores have dramatically altered their coupon doubling policies... and with shows like "Extreme Couponing" it is only going to get worse. When people abuse coupons, everyone loses.

What the extreme couponers on TLC do is just another form of shopping addiction. They may not be spending money, but they are hoarders. Sure you can get mustard for $.39/each... but do you need to buy 70 of them? Why?

Oh, some extreme couponers will say they donate what they "buy," and that's nice. But I have a problem when an extreme couponer comes and wipes out an entire store display just because she can and I'm left holding my coupons and staring at an empty shelf wondering how I'm going to buy the things my family NEEDS.

Moderation in all things.
Northern Cheapskate
Frugal. By Nature.

Helping you stretch your budget with coupons, freebies & money-saving ideas.

#6 User is offline   EStimpert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

I did see on Facebook last night that TLC did post that they are looking into the fraud and that they are taking the situation very seriously.

#7 User is offline   Northern Cheapskate 

• PipPip

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

I'm so glad to hear that! I hope that it will be a good educational experience for all couponers!
Northern Cheapskate
Frugal. By Nature.

Helping you stretch your budget with coupons, freebies & money-saving ideas.

#8 User is offline   Phulla 

• Pip

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:47 AM

I use coupons but not very much. A lot of the things I use aren't on sale and I find that the store brands are cheaper than the coupons. We are a military family and I recently went to the Commissary to shop. They had men's razors on sale,normally 9.45. I had 2 coupons to use. One was for $5.oo off and another for $4.00. The clerk and the Mgr would not let me use them...I hade to pick one. Of course I picked the $5 off but clearly I should have been able to use both of them. I am in So. Cal. I spoke with other women in the store and they said they always have the same problem.

#9 User is offline   EStimpert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

You can go to the commissary's website and it will tell you their exact coupon policy and I have never had anyone ergue with me over something that they say that they will honor from their Coupon Policy section.
I alays use the Commissary as well and believe that they actually do take more coupons than a lot of stores.
About your specific situation you experienced, I dont believe that any store, commissary or not, will allow you to use two manufacturer coupons for the same product on one item. If someone knows any different please let me know!
I hope it doesnt turn you off to shopping at the commissary. They do allow printable coupons and if you sign up for their email alerts, they have specific coupons for commissary use as well. They also tell you whats on sale for the week so that you can use coupons on sale items as well.

#10 User is offline   Phulla 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

View PostEStimpert, on 08 May 2011 - 08:09 AM, said:

You can go to the commissary's website and it will tell you their exact coupon policy and I have never had anyone ergue with me over something that they say that they will honor from their Coupon Policy section.
I alays use the Commissary as well and believe that they actually do take more coupons than a lot of stores.
About your specific situation you experienced, I dont believe that any store, commissary or not, will allow you to use two manufacturer coupons for the same product on one item. If someone knows any different please let me know!
I hope it doesnt turn you off to shopping at the commissary. They do allow printable coupons and if you sign up for their email alerts, they have specific coupons for commissary use as well. They also tell you whats on sale for the week so that you can use coupons on sale items as well.

Thank You so much. I will this info. I noticed alot of the prices are a little cheaper than food 4 eless and a lot cheaper than Ralphs.

#11 User is offline   EStimpert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

For military families another great thing for info aout the commissary is to "Like" them on facebook. They posted yesterday that they have just officially decided to allow the use of the coupons that are printed out at places like Walgreens and Kroger, as long as they say "Manufacturer Coupon".

#12 User is offline   Phulla 

• Pip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

Thank You!! I did go to the website and get on their mailing lists and read their coupon policy. I went back thru my receipts and the Commissary is a lot cheaper. Some things like the guacamole dip is only 1.45 and it's 2.99 at Food 4 less and 3.99 at Ralph's. I will be doing all my shopping from now on.

#13 User is offline   EStimpert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

I have noticed that all sales at regular stores are about the price that the commissary is on a normal day. I only shop there as well, even if they dont double coupons. I am not "extreme" I guess :)

#14 User is offline   TheConsumerQueen 

• Pip

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

It's sickening to me. I can't stand that show. It's ruined a lot of couponing at stores and it makes us all look crazy. TLC still continues and may say they are looking into the fraud but they have done nothing. So Sad. What ever happened to what TLC stood for? The Learning Channel?
Posted Image

Melissa
"Cheap is Good but Free is Better"
I got $1880 in Groceries for $19 using coupons.
http://www.consumerqueen.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users