Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How much do you spend /week on groceries? groceries, expense, average

#1 User is offline   JessB 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:40 AM

How much do you spend per week on groceries? I live in a city where groceries are, on average, more expensive than other cities. This is because all food must be shipped in. I also buy organic produce and grass fed beef. All this means I end up spending between $230-$280/week $330 per week on groceries for a family of 5 (three adults, two children under two). Is this totally outrageous?

#2 User is offline   jhamilton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

View PostJessB, on 23 May 2011 - 04:40 AM, said:

How much do you spend per week on groceries? I live in a city where groceries are, on average, more expensive than other cities. This is because all food must be shipped in. I also buy organic produce and grass fed beef. All this means I end up spending between $230-$280/week on groceries for a family of 5 (three adults, two children under two). Is this totally outrageous?

I'm not sure, but where I live we have several organic type markets and the price for that stuff tends to be higher then non-organic...which is funny if you think about it since chemicals cost more money then not using chemicals. But I guess it's all supply and demand. Anyway, I allot $100 for 2 weeks of groceries for 1 Adult and 1 child (6 yrs). We do have other money for eating out which covers a few meals as well.

#3 User is offline   JessB 

• PipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

View Postjhamilton, on 23 May 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

I'm not sure, but where I live we have several organic type markets and the price for that stuff tends to be higher then non-organic...which is funny if you think about it since chemicals cost more money then not using chemicals. But I guess it's all supply and demand. Anyway, I allot $100 for 2 weeks of groceries for 1 Adult and 1 child (6 yrs). We do have other money for eating out which covers a few meals as well.

The chemicals are not expensive, and pesticides allow "traditional" farmers to keep more of their produce safe from pests. This means organic farmers produce less because organic produce is much more susceptible to pests, and Americans don't like buying food that is half eaten by bugs. As a result, organic farmers must charge more per unit.

#4 User is offline   Lizzard 

• Pip
  • LocationMN

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

For 2 adults and 2 young children under age five we average about $115-130 per week including food, diapers, and house needs. We make meal planning a priority and keep the kitchen clean and organized so we know what we have and what we need. Organizing and planning are the biggest help with time and money. If I know I always keep two boxes of crackers and one is missing it is easy to do a list and not over buy at the store. Plus we stick to our list, if you want it that bad you will make sure it's on next weeks list, most times it was not that important anyway.

#5 User is offline   Julie Vazquez 

• Community Manager
  • Group: Root Administrators

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

There are some great articles on this subject in our Feeding Your Family section. You can comment on them also as long as you are logged in :)
Posted Image
Money Minded Moms Community Manager

Follow Money Minded Moms on Twitter: @MoneyMindedMoms

Like us on Facebook too!

Follow me on Twitter (personal account): @JustJulie

After all, computers crash, people die, relationships fall apart. The best we can do is breathe and reboot. Carrie Bradshaw

#6 User is offline   EStimpert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

I try to buy groceries monthly, although produce and milk usually run out more than that! My husband is not here right now, so I am trying to see how much money that will save us in groceries!

#7 User is offline   JessB 

• PipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

I just did a more thorough "drilling down" of how much we spend on food overall using Mint.com (disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with that site, I just think it's a great free tool). We average $2,000/month on food only!!!! Huh? I knew we spent a lot but, but that is certainly excessive, especially since that does not include diapers, cleaning products, etc. We spend an average each month of $1,220 on groceries (not diapers, cleaning products, etc), and $673/month on eating out at restaurants (and we've actually cut back!), and the rest at coffee shops.

Food in my dessert city is expensive, but this is way out of control. I also like buying organic produce and meat, but how much is too much?

And how much is inflation playing a part in all of this. I'm just dumbfounded!

#8 User is offline   EStimpert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

Wow Jess, that is a lot :) Sometimes thats all it takes, actually seeing how much you do spend.

#9 User is offline   Mom5xs 

• Pip

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

For 2 Adults & 5 kids (ages 7-14), we average $200-$250 per week, which includes occasional eating out.

#10 User is offline   JessB 

• PipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

View PostMom5xs, on 03 June 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

For 2 Adults & 5 kids (ages 7-14), we average $200-$250 per week, which includes occasional eating out.

Do you live in a major city? Or major state (CA, NY)?

#11 User is offline   scm74 

• Pip

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

Jess,

Do you use coupons at all? Stock up on items when they're on sale rather than when you need them? Stockpiling can be tough though depending on your city living arrangements. While I recognized that you choose organic, a lot of those companies are starting to produce coupons to attract new customers. Depending on where you live, try to find a local blogger that covers coupon matchups for your preferred supermarket, if possible. Being in the city, I'm not sure if you're hitting supermarkets or have easier access to say, butchers, farmer's markets, etc. to shop that way.

I'm in the NJ burbs, about halfway between NYC and Philly. I can't afford to buy organic consistently, but try to buy organic produce when the sales are good. We spend roughly $125-$150 a week on grocery store shopping (so it may include cleaning supplies, etc.) for a family of four (2 adults, plus 4&6 y.o.). Blog-wise, I following http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com (She's a national blogger, so she actually links up with other bloggers to cover most of the major supermarkets in the country) and http://www.generousavings.com (currently local, but her ShopRite coupon matchup makes a point to highlight organics if there's a ShopRite near you)

#12 User is offline   movin_on_up 

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:31 AM

i feed my family of myself, and 3 teen-agers on $40 a week. i belong to an online group that matches grocery ads with coupons (some of those coupons go back several months!) and i don't buy anything unless can save at least 50%. the only time i buy junk food (potato chips, candy, etc.) is if the combination of ad + coupons makes that item free. i cook our dinners from scratch. i stock up when things are on sale (at least 50% off). we eat out very rarely. it isn't unusual to see a grocery total of $90 roll down to less than $40 once all the coupons (paper and electronic) are scanned in, and that's a great feeling!

#13 User is offline   homeschooling mom 

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

I budget about $1000 per month for 7 people. I am usually short at the end of the month, but I don't usually charge anything we eat the the food in the freezer or pantry. This does not include eating out which is about $60-100 per month for a pizza ordered in and a date night for my husband and myself. I do use coupons and shop at boths Sam's and Aldi to save as much as possible. I also buy meat from the farmer, for example a half a cow or a whole pig.

#14 User is offline   jbogdon 

• Pip

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

I used to spend about 150 to 200 a week on groceries! This of course is for a family of five. I recently had a baby and have a mother in Hospice in my home so I no longer work. Since my husband is the only working, we had to stretch his money as best we could. So know with the help of coupons my weekly grocery spending is a crazy $50 or less! thats including fresh food, meat and diapers. It takes some time and good organization skills but its like free money. :D

#15 User is offline   JessB 

• PipPip

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

I went to the grocery store last night and got two pounds of organic, grass-fed brisket for $8.99/lb. I got organic rasberries and blackberries for a total of $15. I also bought organic milk, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, coffee creamer, chicken, spinach, kale, carrots, nectarines, peaches, and baby food - all of which the Environmental Working Group recommends buying organic. In addition, I bought two slices of pizza, ice-cream, live ladybugs, and organic cereal, mac-n-cheese and rice.

I clipped four coupons that were in a flyer at the store, and saved $4. The total came to $154. I'm making progress, but I don't think that this will be enough food for the week! Next week, I have to remember to get coupons from the "manufacturer," or in this case "Organic Valley."

#16 User is offline   Patty Gale 

• Pip
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

There are just 3 of us at home, myself, my husband and our daughter. My sons are grown and out of the house. We spend approximately $70 a week on groceries. We shop at Aldi first, and what we can't get there, we head to the local supermarket chain.

As much as I'd love to shop only at places like Whole Foods, the closest one to us is 35 miles (one way), so the gas alone wouldn't be worth it.

We do not buy boxed or packaged food and have recently been following the Clean Eating plan for the last several months. I'd love to use coupons, but unfortunately, most coupons are for boxed or canned products that we don't use.

Surprisingly, clean eating isn't expensive. We don't buy any 'weird' foods that you might think you'd have to include in the menus.
Patty Gale
What Makes Your Heart Sing?
www.PattyGale.com

Let's Connect:
Facebook
Twitter

#17 User is offline   EStimpert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

I really need to start keeping track of how much we are spending. I am excited that my baby just turned one and we can start switching out formula for milk, it will be a HUGE $ saver.

#18 User is offline   Scoobie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Patty Gale - What is the Clean Eating Plan?

#19 User is offline   MaNe 

• Pip

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

We spend about $70 a week for my husband and I and pretty much stick to our food planning... when it's time to replenish cleaning items and such it increases to $100 weekly. Aldi Grocery Stores have great prices. You can also save by price matching sales ads at Walmart. If you are close to Mexican supermarkets, you can purchase produce there and your bill will reduces tremendously.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users