Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gifting Sites Asking for money as gift for your children

#1 User is offline   the3charmers 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

As I was reading my June issue of parents magazine I came across this little section titled "Great Gifting Sites."

Goalmine.com - lets you create a webpage for $25.00 which then allows you to set up savings for whatever goals you have and family and friends can contribute via the site

Freshmanfund.com - lets family a friends contribute gift money to a child's 529 plan or they can purchase gift certificate towards

Depositgift.com - this one is more cash funded. YOu create a registry and family and friends can contribute cash online towards goal. You then receive the funds in either check or visa gift card.

Has anyone seen or used these sites? I would love to hear others thoughts. I am most curious about the freshman fund site. My Kids have enough toys and sometimes instead of getting another toy or game cartridge for bday or holidays, i would like to say to family/friends, please just give them that money for their college fund instead. However, i felt like this would make then uncomfortable as they would feel they need to spend more than they might have budgeted for. However, for me, it doesn't matter if it is $5.00 or 50.00 i would still be greatly as that is what they would spend on a toy if that was their budget. Because of this, i've always felt awkward to do ask and has never done it. This site might be away for me to do so. What are your thoughts?

Thank you

#2 User is offline   EStimpert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

I havent heard of or used any. I have used UPromise though and really like it. You have a card like a lot of grocery stores do that you scan at the checkout wherever you shop and if you have participating products within that transaction, they donate a portion of the cost you pay to your childs 529 plan, it great AND FREE!

#3 User is offline   jhamilton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

View Postthe3charmers, on 25 May 2011 - 10:47 AM, said:

My Kids have enough toys and sometimes instead of getting another toy or game cartridge for bday or holidays, i would like to say to family/friends, please just give them that money for their college fund instead. However, i felt like this would make then uncomfortable as they would feel they need to spend more than they might have budgeted for. However, for me, it doesn't matter if it is $5.00 or 50.00 i would still be greatly as that is what they would spend on a toy if that was their budget. Because of this, i've always felt awkward to do ask and has never done it. This site might be away for me to do so. What are your thoughts?

Thank you

I couldn't help but smile when I was reading this. I have an Uncle (well, we call him Uncle because he's been such a close member of the family for decades) who used to give me checks when I was younger for my birthday and holidays and now mails checks to my daughter. Every single time the memo on the check would say "for spending, saving, or bonds." If only everyone would do that no matter how little the amount was, wouldn't that be helpful. The money is a gift and there is no expectation on anyone on how it should be used though it hints at some great options. Though we prefer mutual funds to bonds in my house, but that's the old school talking in our "great great great uncle".

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users