Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Credit Card for a 3 year old!

#1 User is offline   sophie 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

Today my 3 year old just got a credit card offer from Citi.I can't belive it, and are they still doing that? What should I do? I want to make sure that I protect her, and handle this the right way.Has this happened to anyone else?Help!

#2 User is offline   Julie Vazquez 

• Community Manager
  • Group: Root Administrators

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

WOW! That's just crazy. If a credit report exists for a 3-yr old, it's only because of fraud. In that case, the parent or legal guardian can freeze the child's credit. Here is more information.
Posted Image
Money Minded Moms Community Manager

Follow Money Minded Moms on Twitter: @MoneyMindedMoms

Like us on Facebook too!

Follow me on Twitter (personal account): @JustJulie

After all, computers crash, people die, relationships fall apart. The best we can do is breathe and reboot. Carrie Bradshaw

#3 User is offline   Patty Gale 

• Pip
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:15 AM

That is crazy! I remember when my oldest was a freshman in high school, he started getting credit card offers. I was furious. They gave him a $3,000 card limit. I called them repeatedly and told them they had better take his name off their mailing list or I was going to report them to the FTC. I couldn't believe it. Even though he had a part-time job, he didn't even make $3,000 a year, much less should have that in credit.

They eventually stopped sending him offers.
Patty Gale
What Makes Your Heart Sing?
www.PattyGale.com

Let's Connect:
Facebook
Twitter

#4 User is offline   TheCrediteer.com 

• Pip

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:17 AM

Getting something like that in the mail is always scary. In most cases like that where a minor receives a credit card offer in the mail, there is no credit report that exists or that was created. Companies buy and sell people's personal data to other companies, and what most likely happened in your case is that somehow your three-year-old's info was accidentally included when it shouldn't have been. As such, Citi's system automatically generated an offer letter and sent it.

I would definitely check into it to make sure there is no credit report of any kind, but most likely it was just due to an error where that data should not have been sent on to Citi.
Blog site that provides timely credit card tips, news, and advice.

Check out our blog: TheCrediteer.com
Follow us on Twitter: @TheCrediteer
Like us on Facebook

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users